[OSList] OS & graphics

Arno Baltin arno at tlu.ee
Mon Jul 7 12:53:15 PDT 2014

Dear Lisa!

Thank you for your profound answer, the structure, reflection and analysis.
Lots of valuable learning material (for me).

Here is what I picked up.
- *In the Opening Circle*." there is not the need for a visual documenter
at this point in the meeting. " I agree. There is not much to document
except passion of the putting up the topics and tumult of the market.
- *- Discussion sessions." *And I always invite participants to document in
the way they see things - via text, mapping the conversation, sketching,
poetry - whatever they feel best documents their conversations." Somehow I
have not been successful in carrying on this message. Mostly participants
come out with simple sentences as (direct) answers to proposed topics (How
to ...?) Although as participant in OS's I have enjoyed these
possibilities.
" I have seen people use documentation forms for participants (not in Open
Space but in other small group discussion work) that is a visual template
for taking notes" - I would like to see them and try to use them myself :)
 "Am I thinking of using / adding an element just because *I* like it /
find it comfortable" That is very often about me. And I agree I should
rather put myself into their shoes and think if they really need it. On the
other hand if they somehow found me (not any other facilitator) for this
job, maybe that's our mutual destiny :)
- *Documentation design*: "Do they ‘own’ the creation of it, if possible -
do they play a major part in creating it / making sure it says what they
meant and said?" This question I will write down in bold for my future OS's!
*Closing Circle*: I like the idea of discussing the design of documenting
the closing circle beforehand. I have tried to write down the comments
myself, but then lot of important visual input have been lost for me. At
the same time, the closing circle is not for me to catch there anything, it
is about and for participants.
*Resources: *I can only agree with "A visual documenter deserves to be
involved in pre-work meetings".

Thank you again for your time and effort, Lisa!

Be well!

Arno