[OSList] OS & graphics

Lisa Heft - lisaheft at openingspace.net
Fri Jul 11 18:52:55 PDT 2014

To continue…

On Jul 7, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Arno Baltin <arno at tlu.ee> wrote:

> Dear Lisa!

> Thank you for your profound answer, the structure, reflection and analysis. Lots of valuable learning material (for me).

> Here is what I picked up.

> - In the Opening Circle." there is not the need for a visual documenter at this point in the meeting. " I agree. There is not much to document except passion of the putting up the topics and tumult of the market.

And: the passion is spoken, written and physically demonstrated by the participants themselves, showing in their own way their diversity of thought, and handwriting, and voice.

> - - Discussion sessions." And I always invite participants to document in the way they see things - via text, mapping the conversation, sketching, poetry - whatever they feel best documents their conversations." Somehow I have not been successful in carrying on this message. Mostly participants come out with simple sentences as (direct) answers to proposed topics (How to ...?) Although as participant in OS's I have enjoyed these possibilities.

Hmmm. Why do you think? Maybe it is in the way we each provide documentation materials? Or how long we each design for the discussion sessions? Or how we each name the power of collective documentation? In each of my participant discussion circles there are notes-taker forms, blank paper, also a participant sign-in sheet so people visiting or sitting in on the conversation can pass it around and add their names. In my explanation of the process I invite people to take collective notes so that they receive more than the wisdom they got from the few groups they were able to attend, but instead, a full record of proceedings - the knowledge shared across all of the groups across the entire event. I also have a Newsroom - a physical documentation station in the room, with a (or sometimes several) Newsroom Coordinators (holding space, welcoming notes-takers, having a system to track what notes are in and what are still outstanding). Plus when I have the time in the OS meeting I include a 30-minute ‘working session’ before the Closing Circle for people to continue to / finish transcribing their notes. I also invite participants not to just do key highlights or synthesize their conversations in their notes but take the full narrative - the running conversation with its right and left turns and unanswered questions, because someone else reading those notes may have the answer to their question. Are these things the same as you do?  I know we all honor the form of Open Space but each of us may say things, design the time or provide materials differently.

> " I have seen people use documentation forms for participants (not in Open Space but in other small group discussion work) that is a visual template for taking notes" - I would like to see them and try to use them myself :)

I do not have them but I have used them at other peoples’ non-OS events. I tend to be the kind of participant notes-taker who takes word-for-word notes in a discussion - it is like knitting: it helps me think. It is kinetic, which helps me to be present. Then (when I am a participant) I like to take some additional time to re-write my notes so they are more accessible to other readers who could not be in my group. So Lisa-as-participant enjoys narrative / text notes - even though Lisa-as-learner and sometimes as facilitator often works and thinks graphically. When I (as a participant) use a graphic template someone has provided for my notes, I tend to write less - which I sometimes think is more an internal process and sometimes I think does not offer as much information to the ‘outside’ reader (the person who was not in my small group). Just some thoughts in my head about it, no right or wrong.

>  "Am I thinking of using / adding an element just because *I* like it / find it comfortable”

> That is very often about me. And I agree I should rather put myself into their shoes and think if they really need it. On the other hand if they somehow found me (not any other facilitator) for this job, maybe that's our mutual destiny :)

Ah. Here is where our drinking our mutually enjoyable beverage comes in as we explore. Some of us have different senses of what a facilitator (or whatever you like to call yourself, your role) is. Mine is: It’s not about me. Even if I care about their topics and content. It is their work - it is not my work. I am holding the space and even weaving / holding / breathing in-and-out the container for their good (hard, complex etc.) work. But the moment I get overly ‘help-y’ I observe it is a projection of me, my wishing to help or intervene or soothe or … And I do not see myself as an interventionist. (perfectly valid: other facilitators see themselves as a catalyst or interventionist - I do not see myself in this way - I see myself as more a nutritionist or body worker). So my analysis of what they really need (if I can imagine, intuit, observe, breathe) is - even if they found me, it’s still… not about me…

> - Documentation design: "Do they ‘own’ the creation of it, if possible - do they play a major part in creating it / making sure it says what they meant and said?" This question I will write down in bold for my future OS’s!

I am passionate about - for any dialogic process, Open Space or otherwise - designing / supporting participant-created documentation.

> Closing Circle: I like the idea of discussing the design of documenting the closing circle beforehand. I have tried to write down the comments myself, but then lot of important visual input have been lost for me. At the same time, the closing circle is not for me to catch there anything, it is about and for participants.

Yes, and it definitely depends also on your strengths and skills. As I say, it is easy for me to take word-for-word notes. If I cannot in Closing Circle (due to the need to stand, or be present in a different way) - in advance, I have asked volunteers to help scribe it. Because to me, it is about and for the participants, yes - and *scribing it* gives their words back to them in the Book of Proceedings - for reflection and integration of their thoughts and learning post-event. To my observation, there is the moment of talking (sharing, absorbing, noticing), then resting after the event (brain and body clustering and threading thoughts and experiences), then for some, the telling to other people… and also quiet reflection. When a participant then reads their Book of Proceedings, their thoughts and conversations are restimulated post-event and they also can take fullest advantage of these many levels of integrating and reflecting upon their thoughts, experiences, information and relationships shared, and so on - maximizing the productivity and learning of and from the event…