[OSList] From linkedin today

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Fri Jan 10 12:14:48 PST 2014

I so love when other systems of thinking find synergy with Open Space.
Organizational Permaculture is very intriguing. We had a permaculture
guru at the last Missoula Montana open space conference, Paul Wheaton,
who runs the largest permaculture forum, permies.com. It was a
powerfully synergetic effect, especially as it seems quite evident at
least from my own corner of the universe that permaculture is a "save
the world" way of thinking and practice. That's the way Paul Wheaton
holds it. And from the level of productivity that permaculture provides
in a sustainable healthy humane way - I can't help but sense there is
value in applying this way of thinking organizationally.

The person Paul Wheaton seems to most consistently point at as the
greatest genius in Permaculture, Sepp Holzer, is from Austria. Perhaps
not surprising that some one from that region would have introduced the
word in to the conversation (thank you Michael!)

Apparently Sepp has managed to get the authorities there quite upset
with him, so he can't sell directly the abundant produce he has managed
to cultivate - but people come from far away to visit him and just
happen to "steal" veggies while they're there. Paul says he makes "damn
good money" on permies.com - and from many diverse income streams. He
mentioned at our conference a 7 figure amount, but that is likely
guessing. But he's had to face heavy fines and possible imprisonment to
get there.

Dan, I've not studied permaculture or your facebook group in as much
detail as I'd like - but I'm especially intrigued about any insights you
might have about the focus on obtaining a yield - especially for open
space practitioners. What are your thoughts?

     Harold

Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>
http://shinsato.com