[OSList] Exploring the Principles: Whenever it starts is the right time

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Wed Oct 30 07:04:48 PDT 2013

Paul,

Thanks again for your series of posts.

In the book THE CULTURE GAME there is a chapter "Be Punctual"

There is also a chapter, "Open The Space", which of course includes the
principle "Whenever it starts is the right time."

Oversimplifying here, I think most times, most groups in a meeting are
doing either dialogue, or deciding, or are in some kind of transition
from one to the other, along a gradient.

I currently believe:

  * In deciding-mode, punctuality can (and often must) be tightened up.
  * In dialogue-mode, punctuality usually needs to be relaxed to allow
    (much) more emergence.
  * The property of punctuality is a configurable design property. With
    it we can assign a range of say, 1 to 10 where 1 is "totally loose"
    and 10 is "totally strict."
  * How punctuality is configured all depends on the design goals for
    the experience under consideration.

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.

(203) 915 7248 (cell)