[OSList] Exploring the Principles: Whenever it starts is the right time

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Oct 30 08:36:03 PDT 2013

I think it was St Augustine who remarked that he knew exactly what time was
except when he had to explain it. Slippery creature! Raises some interesting
questions, like Who's time? What time? Which time? Some years ago in West
Africa, I learned that the "right time" (as in being ontime) depended
totally on where you were. If you were in the capitol city, one hour +/- was
OK. In a regional center it was 1 day +/-. When out in the bush, it was 1
week +/-. It also seems to be true that time is pretty much what we think it
is. So in a small Midwest town in the US, some people think it is "fast
time" and others are for "slow time." Here's the story. In this small town
about half of the people make their living as farmers. The other half work
in a manufacturing facility. When daylight savings time comes along,
problems arise. The manufacturing folks need to integrate with the national
shipping system to get their products out "on time" - Fast time. Cows on the
other hand don't wear watches, and wouldn't shift their milking time anyhow
- Slow Time. The dividing line is the Main Street, and crossing the street
takes you from fast time to slow time - and you just have to remember which
side of the street you are on. Or something...

When it come to Time in Open Space, my learning has been that emergent
systems create their own time. Which is to say there is a naturally
occurring sense of pacing and flow - all of which have little or nothing to
do with "clock time."

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: