[OSList] WOSonOS - future hosts? Wisdom to share...

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu May 9 14:24:43 PDT 2013

Lisa Love! You do do wonderful things! AND Me thinkest that everybody is
working much too hard. Not that I don't appreciate the effort - yours and
everybody else's. BUT There really is an easier way for WOSONOS or OSONOS -
or whatever.

Several years ago (just to make the point) I "convened" OSONOS-BY-THE-SEA in
Camden Maine, a small village where I spend my summers. The conference fee
was a raging $25 (half of which we didn't use, so I sent it to "The Access
Queen Fund."). For space I talked to a local church, where I had some
connections. As for accommodations I gave the website of the local Chamber
of Commerce which listed all Hotels, Camp Sites, B&B's, etc - figuring that
the good folks coming could find their own place. All meals were "on your
own" - with all the wonderful eating establishments of Camden available. We
did supply coffee/tea and delicious muffins (local of course) - which set us
back $50 as I recall.

We actually did this twice. The first year I figured the space could handle
50 - and 50 folks showed up. But it became clear that I had underestimated,
and 75 was a more appropriate number. So that was the limit for the
following year - and guess what we were "full."  Truthfully, "full" is a
miss-statement because I believe everybody who really wanted to come found a
place in the space. But we were definitely "full" with wonderful people from
all over the world.

As for the "agony of organization" I do have to say, there was none. I think
my total effort took place in something less than 12 hours over all. That's
everything. And I truly believe it was less by a half.

Doing less, every day! But it worked and it can work. So folks if you are
thinking about hosting WOSONOS or OSONOS - Do what you care to do and it
will be wonderful! But there is an easier way.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org