[OSList] WOSonOS - future hosts? Wisdom to share...

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu May 9 07:42:52 PDT 2013

Dear Ludger -

Nothing is too far away from anything in the world if you look at it
as sharing something around the world - so in one year it is hard for
some people to get there (because it is too far away) and in that same
year it is easier for people to get there (because they live in the
region).

We met in Australia in 2002, which does not mean we could not go back
there again.
There is a thriving community of practice of people learning and
convening in Open Space in Australia and New Zealand - from faith
communities to businesses to educational institutions.
And some lovely people giving workshops to help build the capacity of
facilitators and others in that region to convene people in Open Space.

Certainly if our Open Space colleagues in Australia or in any country
feel they wish to host this they are invited to contact me as I love
supporting future Host Teams by sharing wisdom from past Host Teams.
And as I mention, if someone cannot come to a certain WOSonOS to
invite, they can invite through me or someone else who is attending.

A sampling of the cities and countries this annual gathering has been
hosted in include...(and there were others before I started attending)

Berlin, Germany
Vancouver, Canada
Melbourne, Australia
'Swenmark' (a collaboration between our Danish and Swedish friends,
which happened physically in Denmark)
Goa, India
Halifax, Canada
Moscow, Russia
Kiev, Ukraine
San Francisco, USA
Taipei, Taiwan
Berlin, Germany
Olmue, Chile
London, United Kingdom
St. Petersburg, USA

Ludger, anything is an option if a group of Open Space colleagues from
and in a region feel they would like to host in a future year.
If there is more than one invitation for the same year (to this
particular event), we simply engage in a lovely dialogue-based
exploration process at the conference where that invitation happens,
to make a shared decision.
I invited three years before this event was in San Francisco, because
it was not yet the time. Other invitations were offered also in each
of those years and it was the time to go those other places.

And we can say 'oh it should go to x country or continent' but we are
not the ones to say. The Open Space facilitators / learners /
enthusiasts in that country are the ones to say.
Not just because they wish there was more Open Space in their region
but because they feel they have capacity and energy. Because inviting
folks - even to your home - is more than a great dialogue process.
There are the tasks, timelines and expenses of putting on that dinner
party. Event planning. Not all facilitators also have the interest in
doing all the million tasks it takes to host, also because so many
people have very full lives. And this is not something to do as a
single person. Suzanne and Phelim and other hosts can give you an idea
of all the pre-work and team work. I know that when I hosted I had an
amazing team of colleagues who worked very hard and creatively. We
worked together on the conference for a year in advance. Not because
it was so complicated to get a meeting room and say 'everybody join
us' - but because we had an amazing time together thinking of how to
raise resources (for reserving a large meeting room, providing some
food, and creating funds for some Askers of lower financial means
wishing to get to our event), but also researching home-stays and
hotels, offering workshops in advance, helping people with visa
invitations and shared travel, and more.

You don't have to do it this way - Harrison gets a church hall and
some muffins and says 'join me' - and then we go there and everyone
looks after themselves and each other in a self-organized way. And it
is fabulous. However our team - and some of my fellow Host Team
colleagues from other countries - can tell you what a joy it is to
help people who do not have much travel experience understand what
they need to know, have the financial flexibility to welcome people to
come even if they cannot afford the full price, connect with a
language buddy so they can join in the conversation, think of ways to
explore documentation and set that up and experiment with it in
advance... What I am saying is that some of us use this Host
experience as a learning lab for what else, what else, what else could
we do for more access, inclusion, diversity, and experiential learning
in ways to create dialogue events.  Even if you are Suzanne's 'One
Less Thing' team.

Remember there is also hosting anything you want, whenever you want -
such as a regional, international or local gathering in Open Space
about Open Space and other great topics.
Anyone can host a conference in the process of Open Space about Open
Space. Anyone can invite one of us who offer learning workshops to
come to their region so more people can share knowledge of and grow
their community of practice in Open Space. Several of us do these
additional gatherings annually. For example I have one every Spring in
San Francisco.

And guess what? Ludger, you will get a first-hand experience of this
particular event - and this time's particular flavor (as each has its
own flavor) - when you see us next week for the workshop and the
conference.

How lucky we will be to know and share this learning with you...

Lisa