[OSList] Conflict and Caring

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 06:08:47 PDT 2012

Ho said: "Show me a situation where there is no conflict, and I
will show you a situation where nobody cares".

I like this a lot!

(This is not a
surprise, as I am from Southern Europe, where conflicts are genelly strongly expressed (and frequently almost immediately forgotten) - and this, the Greeks thought, was
the essence of democracy!

In some other
cultures, conflicts are frequently avoided as if they were a kind of plague...
I suspect (with no strong evidence) that this is the cause of many organizational
(and community) “learning disabilities”.

So my question is:
can we assume that this idea of "no conflict implies no care" is a
general principle?

If so, shouldn’t
we not try to cultivate a culture with less "conflict avoidance"?

Artur