[OSList] How to successfully convene a single session within an os event

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Mon Jul 18 23:09:04 PDT 2011

Dear Michael,

Thanks for the practical advice. Very much appreciated! I will give that
format a try the next time I convene a session. I've been mostly just
showing up and seeing what happens with less than satisfactory results.
I can tell it could go better - but not quite seeing how it could go
better or what the people are doing that make it go better.

Now that you mention it - I have generally seen the successful
conversation oriented sessions usually just kind of log jam until the
attendees chime in somehow with their objectives and what they want. I'm
not so sure how helpful it is when people go around the circle and give
their credentials. It seems to lead to posturing and less listening -
though I do see that giving a little space for people to identify
themselves so people can hear where they're coming from does help.

Thank you for mentioning the value of giving the session a summarizing
closing. Like going around the circle and asking people to share one
thing they learned. It sounds like a mini closing to an Open Space.
Great idea - thank you!

I love the Mind Map idea. I'd definitely like to try that one out. Some
kind of visualization is certainly helpful, even for a conversation. The
"Lean Coffee" meetings I mentioned use a Kanban approach of just putting
the topics on stickies and stepping through them. But I like the less
linear format of a mind map. I look forward to seeing how that one works.

Another thing I notice is to keep the space open for divergent opinions.
It's a trick I'm still learning. My wife seems to have great success
beginning with an admonition - a little bit of facilitation - saying
that we're not there for arguments - which appears to keep out the space
invaders. I sense there's some importance for just claiming and owning
the space, setting some intentions. It's feels like a bit of a
facilitator's stance - one that calls for all voices.

Many successful session conveners actually do a dog and pony show, step
through some points, or at least start with and share what they know
about the topic. The longer these openings go - often the more impatient
I become - but it depends on how compelling, entertaining, and engaging
they are as a speaker.

A lot of sessions I really love are some kind of game or activity -
ideally with a debriefing if it's a learning game. The session convener
basically sets up the rules, they we play the game or do the activity -
and we close with some talking.

For some folks, this is completely not interesting because it comes so
naturally. For others, like myself, this is a bit more of a struggle. My
Japanese heritage calls on me to avoid being too assertive and assuming.
But my Portuguese heritage has a lot it wants to say! Harrison - you are
definitely not the weird one! Hopefully people won't mind that I
continue to wonder out loud.

What's needed to keep the conversation going when one also has things to
say? I'm amazed at how well some people do it - many of which are on
this list.

Anyway - thank you Michael for answering my plea for help! I am
definitely interested and welcoming to more observations and thoughts
about this topic. I really am not looking for rules to impose on open
space or on anyone. I want OST to continue to give plenty of room for
improvisation, playing around with formats, and trying out new things.
But tips like Michael offered can help me from having to reinvent the
wheel or continue to spin around.

     Harold

--
Harold Shinsato