[OSList] How to successfully convene a single session within an os event

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Thu Jul 14 16:29:00 PDT 2011

Dear Harold,
as a participant of events in which I posted an issue and convened a
session I tried different things that worked for me.
During the introduction to an os event I as facilitator normally mention
one approach I as convener have used in breakout sessions.
Just one!

Here what I do as participant convening a session:

1. As convener, I always invite everyone that showed up and who cares to
do so to say briefly what brought them to this issue I convened this
session for.
It surprises me every time how in no time flat a tapestry of motives,
interests, goals and other tidbits (names of the participants, etc.) is
created... it seems to provide a supportive backdrop for the following
discussion / dialog for mutual understanding and other good stuff.
It works regardless of the size of the group. On some occasions (again
regardless of the size of the group) most of the ("scheduled") time of a
breakout session was taken up by this process... it "re"placed the usual
type of discussion and at the same time apparently dealt well with the
issue.

2. As convener, I often start a visualisation of the discussion with a
mindmap. Sometimes, actually just about always, others jump in and
participate in the visualisation, expanding the mindmap with their own
handwriting. The visualisation makes it well transparent for everyone
what is going on... people that join later can quickly get connected...
and the mindmap has a way of documenting the emerging structure of the
issue (it selforganises), also making "missing" stuff visible and
providing a starting point for action planning at a later stage.

3. As convener, I always also invite for a go-around before the session
closes where I invite comments around the question "How was it?". This
is a simple and  productive way to learn from what just transpired in
the last hour or so... a chance I never want to let go by unused.

None of these things are rocket science, none take long and they add to
parameters such as information, meaning, spirit, starting points for
action, new collaborations, dialog... and regularly change the direction
of the initial issue, improving and deepening the initial issue or that
which evolved.

They also seem to go well with the one and only given that I think has
all the trappings of a given: selforganisation.

I would love to hear of things you and you others reading this post have
tried when taking part in an open space as participant regardless of
whether you then advocate using these things in your role as a
facilitator introducing the participants to the OST process... and how
you and the breakout group and the issue fared.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp