[OSList] tips for holding OST outside, and other questions

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Aug 18 05:24:28 PDT 2011

Abby - OS in a tent is always fun. I've done many times and it works just as
usual. You do have to use a little imagination for a Wall - but clothes
lines will do. Or Plywood. Or ? But the possibilities are just wonderful.
Michael Pannwitz and I did an Open Space for 2108 German Psychiatrists in a
circus tent. The walls were so small (low) compared to the seize/height of
the tent that there was no place to hang all the signs (butterflies,
Principles, etc) - that could be seen. So Michael had a brain storm. Fly the
signs on balloons! The tent was filled with wandering bumble bees and
butterflies, with Principles on the wing. There are some pictures around
somewhere???? Great fun!

When it comes to proceedings with folks who can't write just remember that
that the convener's responsibility is to "insure" that notes are taken. So
if he/she can't write, or doesn't care to (the more usual situation) - they
need to find somebody who can and will . Usually somebody in the group will
rise to the call - but the convener can always invite a special guest for
the purpose. But the responsibility remains with the convener. All in line
with the OS mantra - Take responsibility for what you care for (passionate
about).

A long time ago I made a dreadful mistake. All the participants were senior
executives at a time when "recording minutes" was totally below their
dignity. That's what secretaries are for! So we had secretaries and it was a
disaster. The poor ladies couldn't read the scribbled notes of the execs,
and didn't really understand what was being talked about so they could not
effectively take their own notes. They recorded "everything" which included
a lot of garbage. Worst of all, when it came time to type everything up -
the executives could not be found for checking the details. Miserable! Don't
do it!

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 20854

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org