A "kanban" board to help get session reports

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 08:53:10 PDT 2010

Thank you Harold,

Since being introduced to the Scrum/Agile community which happened when
Harrison facilitated a one-day Open Space event in Orlando this year, I've
been drawn to their culture, processes and tools which I know was inspired
by Open Space principles.  What you describe here connects with what I have
been struggling with knowing that Open Space can powerfully ignite
individual and collective passion on what people truly care about and yet
somehow the pent-up desire for action that starts to percolate (which I know
cannot be rushed) doesn't always materialize afterwards.

The News Wall and the reports are so important and sometimes when some folks
don't seem to get around to it,  I am saddened wondering if my instructions
were not clear enough or simply if some participants are so engaged in the
moment that they do not want to stop their conversations - they just want to
go deeper.  I have learned to accept what is and yet, it still gnaws at me
feeling that a "little nudge" could perhaps do so much without disrupting
the self-organizing essence of Open Space.

I agree with Michael Pannwitz that the Marketplace for me is a sacred space
that I would never touch.  I wonder though if with the right labeling,
initiators (or note taker participants)  themselves could not transport
their topic sheets to the areas you describe. For example, Summary Reports
in Process and then simply Summary Reports Completed.  Perhaps this "visual
nudge" with some brief words of explanation could do a lot.

Change, execution and action can be so wonderful when you're doing what you
love and are passionate about.  What if this too was part of the
"invitation" and our "heartfelt intention" ?

Others may have strong views to the contrary on this but Harold I'm with you
that maybe a visual cue like this could do a lot!

Suzanne