A "kanban" board to help get session reports

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Oct 12 10:23:18 PDT 2010

Thanks for inviting this conversation, Harold.

When I do Open Space - there is a Newsroom Coordinator (ideally
someone other than myself / the facilitator - sometimes I am both).
And I don't know if this is obvious or done by others so I will name
it as the way I do it: the Newsroom is in the same big room that the
Agenda Wall and discussion circles and food are in.

After each discussion time ends, I or the Newsroom Coordinator removes
the topic signs from the Agenda Wall for that time zone, and brings
those signs over to the Newsroom.

This becomes
a) one of the tracking mechanisms the Newsroom Coordinator has for
organizing her/his understanding of what notes transcriptions have
been completed and what notes remain
b) a visual shift in the Agenda Wall to help participants see what is
currently in session

The Newsroom Coordinator often uses the option of posting those topic
signs on the wall to indicate what notes still need transcription.
At Evening News, the Newsroom Coordinator can point to the wall and
say 'our goal is for you to transcribe your session notes by the end
of our meeting - these are the notes that still need to be transcribed.'

To me, that is not getting in the way of anybody's self-organizing or
assuming passion and responsibility for co-creating the Book of
Proceedings - it's holding space for participants' documenting their
dialogue.

I am all for the rich chaos that some people feel (remember - some
people do not feel that it's chaos) in Open Space.
I am also all for accessibility and inclusion: color-coding post-its
to time zones or moving topic signs to show on a Newsroom wall what
notes are still outstanding is, to me, helping people do what they do
so well - without doing it for them.

What do others do?

Lisa