OST 1,5 day: Any suggestion?

Koos de Heer koos at auryn.nl
Thu Oct 22 00:19:09 PDT 2009

Hi Déborah,

You have had some excellent advice on the program
design already. There is much to say about
storytelling and I do not have much time at the
moment, so this will have to be short. I am sure
you can find more in the archives of the listserv.

Storytelling is important especially in cases
where a lot has happened and there is pain and
frustration in the group. But even where that is
not the case, it always works to create a common
ground for the group to work forward. To share
the past with each other builds the foundation to
create a clear picture of the present and to work on a future together.

There are many ways to facilitate storytelling,
depending on the size of the group, the theme of
the conference and the situation the group is in
(e.g. if there is a lot of grief). There are two
different ways that I like personally.

One is to create a timeline, much like in Future
Search. There is a long blank banner of paper on
the wall, made of flip charts, from left to
right, that represents the timeline from a point
in the past (10, 20 or 30 years, depending what
you think is a meainingful timeframe, do not make
it too short). If you want, you can split it into
three parallel timelines: one for individual
events, one for events related to the
organization or community, and one for events
related to the outside (country, world,
whatever). Everybody writes/draws anything that
is important to them on the timeline with a
marker. After that, small groups (6-10) sit
together to discuss the timeline, pick out what
is important to them and share their stories
about it. At the end, the small groups report back what they have learned.

The other is to split into small groups right
away (agin, 6-10 people) and to give them a
question to get the stories started. A question
could be for a community: "When and how did you
come here and what made you stay?" For an
organization: "What do you like best about
.....(the organization)?" or "Describe a time or
a moment when you have felt most alive,
successful and connected in your organization."
These questions have been derived from
Appreciative Inquiry. Here, as well, you can let
the small groups report back what their learning has been.

I am sure there are many other ways to do it; you
can also work with Glad/Sad/Mad. Sorry I have no
time to elaborate further... I hope this gives you an idea anyway.

Koos