OS with Elementary school children

Shannon Hecker shshanny391 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 17:14:08 PST 2009

Hi all,

The following may be obvious points, but the essence of fun and creativity
really comes alive when children gather in Open Space.  Here are some
thoughts:

 (a) provide yummy, nourishing food, or better yet, the option for children
to create their own snack...at a food sustainability conference with
children 9-12...that was one of the most exciting break out sessions.

(b) have enough space for movement...it has been my experience that hacky
sac sessions, spontaneous tag, a quiet game of telephone may erupt at any
creative moment!  I have witnessed children really work with the Law of Two
Feet...weaving in and out of conversation.

On that note, I have worn large sized shoes or provided goofy walking attire
for children to really emphasize the freedom to move where they feel they
are learning and honoring themselves.

(c) paper for doodles, art expression, etc

(d) and of course, get out of the way fast, faster than fast!!  Children
pick up on intent fast...and will know, without a whole lot of words that
you are offering the freedom to explore!

I agree that it can be a challenge for adults to truly believe that children
can self organize.  In my experience this opens up so many opportunities for
rich conversation and an opportunity for planners of OST events for children
to hone in on asking great questions about intent prior to the event.

Hope this has been helpful, Shannon