OS with Elementary school children

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Tue Nov 10 00:09:22 PST 2009

Dear Elisabeth,

In my experience, OS works well with children; the key issue seems to be that the grown ups (school leadership, teachers, parents) often don't seem to believe that they will.

On one occasion for example, the school leadership was adamant that the younger children would not be able to participate (though the 12-15 years olds would).

I then convinced the teacher team for the younger classes to spend some hours with the younger children to draw, paint, build and so on, on the OS's topic:
"What school do we want in future, and how do we create it". The result was a powerful exhibition which showed the younger children's dreams and hopes,
that all participants had to go through before entering the meeting room.

I would have preferred them to be there, though.

The only adaption I have sometimes made is to shorten the time for discussion rounds.

Greetings from Denmark,

Gerard