My first time

Mark R. Jones mark.r.jones at sunyata.ws
Tue Nov 14 13:39:09 PST 2006

Hi Winston.

Over the years, a some of us that were conducting the
³living in Open Space² experiments began to invite OS
participants to a state of ³Presence² through ³Check-In²
processes.  The ³Check-In² process is any intentional act
of individual and collective "attunement" that brings the
participants into clarity and harmony with what they
perceive as the higher aspirations, expectations, and
needs of Self, Others, and The Whole ‹ in the context
of the OS gathering.

I typically start the ³Check-In² process with 2­4 minutes
of ³Silence² ‹ punctuated beginning and end by a bell.

The participants contemplate the ³Calling Question² and
how what they are currently experiencing in their lives
informs their understanding of the ³Calling Question²  and
their participation in the OS.  The insights of the process
are then publicly shared ‹ either in the Whole, or in small
groups (typically diads).  In a formal meeting setting, this
means also reporting any information that one has that has
material and/or insightful relevance to the Whole.

The functional objective of the ³Check-In² process is to
provoke the participants to be aware of, and responsive to,
their own current states, intentions, and impacts, and the
current states, intentions, and impacts of the others
participants.  This is an action of entraining ones own
of other people.  In this context, it is a conscious decision to
regulate and possibly alter ones behaviors and communications
in order to achieve a greater sense of interconnection with
others and a ³Shared Purpose².

Does this explanation provide sufficient clarification?

Mark R. Jones
Chief Executive Officer
The Sunyata Group
The Integral Wellness Group