OPen Space collocations

C isa Kocher cik at ttnet.net.tr
Sun Nov 12 12:54:50 PST 2006

>>> but Open
> Space have at least 2 meanings (for me): 1. this is a space that is
> open(ed), 2. an imperative - open (the) space!

Open collocates with many different kinds of words. Open door, open question
(but not wide open question), open faucet, open switch, open mind, wide open
spaces, open list (but NOT wide open list),

However I can not 'open the space', or 'open the question', or 'open the
switch'.  I might make more space, or raise the question, or turn on the
switch. I can open doors and windows and lanes on the highways where there
is a fluidity. Open Space then would be less fluid than unrestricted and
immeasurable to some extent. Not partitionable.

As far as I can see without a really extensive collocation search is that
Open Space is not 'opened' nor is it "Open the space!", but space (seen as
cubic or as squared) that is unlimited, unbounded, not closed, or covered,
and with unrestricted access.

An open mind is untethered, unfettered or unrestricted. You cannot pin down
an open space or an open mind. You cannot cut it up into pieces. You might
say Open Space means a commons. A commons is not unregulated. A commons
includes all and excludes none. Less like a door than like a place to
gather. A place where anyone can stop and everyone can get together.

That is just looking at the Open but another search would have to be done on
the Space to get a better semantic field.

love and peace.

isa

We do not inherit it; we borrow the Earth from our children: Native American
wisdom. The only immorality is not to do what one has to do when one has to
do it: Jean Anouilh