Community Building (Transformative and Otherwise)

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Sat May 14 08:53:09 PDT 2005

Thanks Harrison, compassionate tour guide on community building. My pushback in this is the notion of building. Building in an engineering process where success is measured by compliance to even the most enlightened and well-intentioned models and blueprints. If community is something that emerges from freedom to share responsibility for what matters, its authentic form is not engineered. In fact any attempt at engineering prevents natural emergence that in the more unfortunate cases call for even more engineering .... and so on and on.

When I was a wee lad, I read everything the Berrigan brothers wrote. They were the wild political and social activist Jesuits. They used to talk about community as re-membering. It's a beautiful image on many levels; that we literally re-member as a community into our intrinsic wholeness. And this comes about in Open Space simply by how the principles and law, the circle and invitations remind us. In that re-membering, we discover new ways of being community.

Jack

jack ricchiuto
two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.org