Community Building (Transformative and Otherwise)

Shawn Callahan shawn at anecdote.com.au
Sun May 15 02:59:03 PDT 2005

Harrison, your description of community and genuine community resonates with
me. Open the space and allow communities to form.

In particular I found your following observation interesting because I've
also encountered similar preconditions.

"Perhaps even more remarkable, Genuine Community appears even under the most
stressful and conflicted situations - to the point that it almost seems that
the greater the initial conflict and stress the deeper and more profound the
Genuine Community. And nobody does a thing - it just happens."

>From a complexity perspective I thought this might be described with
reference to adaptive tension. Just like Bernard cells emerge as the
liquid's temperature is raised, so might communities arise when there is a
need to adapt.

Regards

Shawn

Anecdote Pty Ltd