Fw: The World Cafe meets Open Space

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Tue Jun 14 20:26:38 PDT 2005

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Artur Silva
  To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
  Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 6:51 AM
  Subject: Re: [OSLIST] Fw: The World Cafe meets Open Space

  Peggy:

  Please see below what I am commenting.

  I wonder if the "freedom shock" was created by OST or by the fact that OST was preceded by TWC. Interestingly, I made a misreading of your words "had a felt sense of community very quickly" that I first red "had a false sense of community very quickly" ;-(

  I would agree with you that maybe there are conditions that are suitable for TWC (for instance, the client is not prepared to OST, or the problem doesn't need a solution for yesterday). But if those conditions don't exist, I would say that to have TWC before OST has no added value and may help create (or maximize) the freedom shock; and the intimacy created by the "intimate groups" can be good, as you have explained, but it can also be bad in some cases, where the previous small groups (with a fixed number of 4 and a square table) will made more difficult the process of creating the feeling of belonging to a circle of the "large overall community" (all the people assembled) needed for OST to work properly.

  But I agree with you that beginning in small groups the evening session may be something worth trying in some situations.

  My two cents

  Artur

  Peggy Holman <peggy at opencirclecompany.com> wrote:
    Here's a bit more on World Cafe and OS from Tom Atlee, who just returned
    from a conference "downunder". (...):

    > A couple of points on the OS/WC experiment:
    >
    > It was explicitly noted that the groups could become more or less than 4
    > (the ideal WC size); this is not significant to OSers, but is definitely
    > significant to WCers.

    (...)

  http://mail.yah! oo.com * * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist