Fw: The World Cafe meets Open Space

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Tue Jun 14 20:34:25 PDT 2005

Hi Artur,

I believe that it is indeed possible that doing TWC first could have contributed to the freedom shock for some.  (That's why I said  It's possible that the contrast heightened the shock.)  It is possible that for others, it reduced the shock.

Ultimately, I think Harrison has the right of it:
 freedom and the necessity of accepting the responsibility of freedom is not the peculiar gift or requirement of OST, it is just a fact of life. >From this point of view, OST is only an opportunity to practice what we all have to do anyhow. Some will do all that better than others, some will enjoy it more, and others less -- but it remains a task of our common humanity. The sooner we get on with it, the better.

For me, the choice to use TWC would depend on other factors.  For example, I've been in a situation where speakers were already lined up and expected to speak.  We used TWC to provide for something beyond passive listening.  For the Salon, the hosts wanted people to experience multiple ways of coming together.

from sunny Seattle,
Peggy