Academics from different disciplines

Ros Crompton ros at momentum-learning.com
Thu Dec 2 18:40:37 PST 2004

Hi Peggy,

We met in Melbourne, and I've been off the List for a good while, and so
pleased to be back.

Here are some random thoughts, spontaneous and maybe useful to
hitch-hike with??  My observation is that when academics of like mind
(indeed any group sharing jargon) get together, they discuss in the
familiar vernacular and get lost in intellectual familiarity.  The
diversity will cause fantastic creative tension, push people to re-frame
what they say and how they say it, discover new meaning in their own as
well as other people's stuff.  I think this is what you've already said,
however some comment about how OS is made for diversity might be helpful
to Tom.  Your response is paraphrased perhaps...but if I was not
familiar with OS, I would want to know more about how to let go.  Yoiks,
what might the surprises be?

In Sociodrama, we would talk about the role that Tom is taking which is
something like Universal Fixer.  OS allows him to develop the roles of
Naive Observer, Skilled Questioner, Light-footed Dancer with Geeks.  If
it suits the circumstance, I might muse with/coach Tom about the roles
he might take in order to 'let go', to let him of the hook of I'm
responsible for all this'.  That's part of the beauty of OS too.  It's
so easy once you "get it".

Cheers, Ros.

Ros Crompton
Professional Coach, Speaker, Facilitator
Momentum Learning
Phone: +61 3 9808 4202
Mobile/Cell: 0417 229 335
 <mailto: ros at momentum-learning.com> ros at momentum-learning.com