FACILITATOR AS PARTICIPANT

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Dec 31 05:47:30 PST 2003

I have found myself in exactly the situation you describe on a number of
occasions, and the only problem (a real one) is that it is sometimes
difficult to maintain the role of "Space Holder" when the discussion
becomes hot and heavy in an area of particular interest to you. It is so
easy to get sucked in. I found, however, that it is possible to do two
things at the same time IF you remember which one is the most important,
at least most important in terms of your participation in the Open
Space. If you are the facilitator - that is job 1. Frankly I find it
easier, more pleasant and productive to look for an "outsider" to do the
facilitation so that I have complete license to play. However it does
work either way, particularly in a situation where the group has had
some prior experience with Open Space. It seems that the group pretty
quickly figures out how to hold its own space, and then everybody is
free to follow their druthers.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093
<http://www.openspaceworld.com/>
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: