FACILITATOR AS PARTICIPANT

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Wed Dec 31 08:33:15 PST 2003

MessageMarks,

In Spirited Work, the convenors are also participants.  We also did this for
the Practice of Peace at Whidbey on Nov. 9-12.  I think it works because it
isn't a single person caring for the space but a group of us.  Our pattern
is to have two people each day who are specifically designated to open the
space and pay attention throughout the day.  Even while doing this, they
participate.  I think this works because of what Harrison said:

It seems that the group pretty quickly figures out how to hold its own
space, and then everybody is free to follow their druthers.

Part of the preparation is that the group who is convening meets a few hours
earlier to reflect first silently and then out loud together.  We notice
what is up for us individually and speak our intentions for the whole.  At
that time we walk through any material needs or questions and decide who
will take responsibility for which days.  I think this prepares the field.

We also start every circle of the whole with about 5 minutes in silence.
This does amazing things for bringing people into a common field.  Subtle,
but it seems to make a difference.

Over time the Stewards (this is a self-selected group open to any who feel
called that has commited to dealing with governance for the whole) have more
consciously taken on a role of "growing the capacity of people to care for
themselves, others, and the whole".  In doing so, more and more, it is
everyone who opens and holds the space.

Given the nature of your community, what a wonderful way of going deeper
even as you talk about it!

Have a great time,
Peggy