FACILITATOR AS PARTICIPANT

Seamus McInerney seamus at crossroadsfacilitation.ie
Wed Dec 31 04:40:15 PST 2003

Hi Marks,
Given that you are already part of a community and prompted by Chris
Weavers suggestion of devoting yourself entirely to holding space, can I
suggest the Community Building method as developed by Scott Peck. Community
Building can be tougher then OS in that it can be a lot less active than
OS. Lot's more holding space.

Good luck anyway.
Shay

At 03:31 31/12/2003, you wrote:
>Hi folks;
>
>And Happy New Year.
>
>I would appreciate a little advice. I am part of a well knit "Christian"
>community of 13 persons that steward the life of a wonderful little
>Retreat Centre called Rivendell on Bowen Island near Vancouver (just down
>the road from Chris Corrigan). We have been developing the centre's
>philosophy, offering spiritual hospitality and companionship as well as
>being available as facilitators to the wide variety of groups that come
>here. In a way we are the centre's staff, though it is a non-stipendiary
>service. As a community we have a community retreat ourselves three times
>a year ( normally there are only 2 or 3 here hosting the centre at any one
>time).
>
>Our next retreat is early next week. And we have just decided that for the
>"content" of this retreat that we would like to explore developing a
>covenant for ourselves to both deepen our commitment to each other, and to
>state clearly who we are and what we are endeavouring to do.
>
>Now here is the "rub" and the challenge. I have volunteered to facilitate
>an Open Space for this exploration- something I have done about half a
>dozen times over the past 3 years, with much satisfaction and seeming
>success. However, in this case, I want to be able to "open" and "hold"
>space, AND to be a full participant. Has anyone had any experience of
>doing this? In our case, it seems necessary to do this exploration totally
>"in house", but it ought to include us all.
>
>Any advice you might have for me as I prepare for this venture would be
>much appreciated- short of telling me I shouldn't do it as I am now committed.
>
>Cheers and thanks in advance.
>
>Marks
>of
>Margaret & Marks McAvity
>S50, C16
>Galiano, BC
>Canada V0N 1P0
><mailto:mcavity at primus.ca>mcavity at primus.ca
>
>604-616-7260(cell-Marks),250-539-2881(Galiano)
>604-328-4406(cell-Marg), 604-947-0077(Bowen-us)

>OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
>subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
>oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu, Visit:

Crossroads Facilitation
50 Carrigdhoun, Waterpark, Carrigaline, Co. Cork
www.crossroadsfacilitation.ie
"Building bridges and getting you over them"