Fw: Seeking counsel on presenting OS to a group

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Mon Jan 24 20:05:35 PST 2000

Dear Susan,
Your dilemma is one that I come up with frequently. Harrison's suggestion of
the need of more time ie: a day so that they can get right into it is good.
I would add to this.  In my experience, when I have a chance to have people
experience an Open Space, I make sure that there is time given at the end
for collective voting and convergence so that participants can see how
things can get moved into action. I  find that when people are not exposed
to collective voting and convergence, that they go forward and believe that
Open Space doesn't really take things to action, or great detail, and of
course if all the steps are included, it does. My reasoning for being so
insistent on an experience of collective voting is as follows: if we are
looking for passion/responsibility and the data of knowing what is really
important to a collective of people, without the collective voting, we are
missing critical data. From posting topics, we get a sense of  the
passion/responsibility of an individual; from who attends a group, we get a
sense of the passion/responsibility of smaller groups; from polling the
collective at the end, we get a sense of what the group really thinks is
important NOW for action/resourcing. When I actually facilitate Open Space
events, I am often surprised that in the voting at the end, a topic becomes
a top vote getter that no one actually attended the session for. And if we
hadn't had the vote, we would never have had the more complete picture of
what is going on. So....this step in my experience, is one that I add
whenever I have the chance to do a one day open space so that I give a
chance to the group to examine  more of the possibilities of what can be
achieved with Open Space.

When a group stays with a short time frame, I usually do a half hour
introduction to why Open Space works, looking at the cycle of
transformational change and why we need open space for wonder, creativity
and imagination to be expressed. I also speak of Change Management being an
oxymoron. And that we need to build our capacity to navigate change, as
individuals and as organizations. Open Space is a vehicle that assists
organizations in navigating change and in building capacity to navigate
change, the more often it is used. And then I go through the opening of
space, the building of an agenda and so on which takes about 30 minutes. The
agenda is up, passion has been fuelled in people, they are amazed by what
they have put up and they are very very very desirous of having those
discussions.  We don't have them. People see what is possible, talk about
it, and ask questions. The hard thing is to get them to stop at the end of
your time period.

Good luck with your group!
Birgitt

Birgitt Bolton