Fw: Seeking counsel on presenting OS to a group

ralphsc ralphsc at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 07:07:25 PST 2000

Re: Peg Holman's friend who has 1 1/4 hours to DO open space for a group
of HR execs. I agree with Harrison: don't do it.  I felt uncomfortable
justreading about it.

I am remembering occasions when it was much sexier to almost have sex
than to actually have it.

Faced with  an hour and a quarter, I would not attempt to actually open
space, especially if the goal is, as Peg's friend puts it, to get them
very excited about the potential of open space.

What I did with very good effect with a group of airline executives was
to go through my opening.  I explained that we were not actually going to
"do" open space because there was not time.  Once they experienced the
full opening, however, they could sense how they would themselves feel
about the idea, how it could be for others they knew, etc.  We then had a
Q&A session for a while during which they came up with several ideas for
applying it in their organization.  Total time: about an hour (would've
also shown a video if I'd had one).

P.S.  I set their chairs in a circle, postered the walls in the usual
way, etc.

Within a week they had booked me to do a 150-person open space event for
travel agents, internal customer service people, major corporate
accounts, and frequent flyer customers.

Does tackling compensation systems for aging workers in a 75-minute rush
job seem like mission impossible?  Nothing's impossible, but that comes
close.

Ralph Copleman