[OSList] From Open Space to objectives and key results (OKRs)?

Ilan Kirschenbaum ilan at practical-agile.com
Wed Feb 5 22:48:46 PST 2020

This discussion opened at a great time for me, as I am also working with a
client that is making their first steps in making OKRs spread through the
organization.

Adding to the wonderful advice from everyone, you can make a structure that
invites the desired outcome.
For example, at the open space designate three areas for conveners to
work at.
When it comes to defining the O's, there will be room for 3 O's to work on.
I would discuss with the sponsor that there is always potential that
participants will ask for an additional work area, or they might just
create one for themselves. Also, that participants might finish working on
one O, and move to the next Objective on their own accord.

It will be a great opportunity to discuss the Open Space principles with
the sponsor. In particular - whatever happens is the only thing that could
happen. And sense from the discussion to what extent the sponsor is open
for the emergence of the new and the unexpected.
If s.he is not, maybe Open Space is not the right technique for that point
in time?

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 01:15, Thomas Herrmann via OSList <

> Dear Jake
>
> I don’t fully understand, of course, but am wondering what the
> purpose/expected outcome is for this development process and also there
> must be no more than 3 O’s? I understand they are not yet defined, but
> should be identified/agreed on in the OST?
>
> My experience from similar situations is that it is not that well thought
> through or that the opportunities at hand if choosing to use OST are not
> fully understood.
>
> Good night from Sweden
>
> Thomas Herrmann

Ilan Kirschenbaum - Co-Founder & Agile coach At Practical Agile LTD.
Twitter: @kirschi_
Phone # +972-54-6620348
website: www.practical-agile.com

<http://www.practical-agile.com>