[OSList] Organizational Open Space and Agile Software Development

Diana Larsen diana at agilefluency.org
Fri Sep 27 02:57:55 PDT 2019

Hi Jake,

Thanks for posting this, it’s interesting and mostly matches my experience of both OST and Agile. Your final slide captures my observations as well. I introduced OST at one of the early Scrum Gatherings in Boulder because I saw the same shared intentions you’ve noticed, a reliance on effective self-organizing and the power of a focus on continuous learning, for the individuals, teams, and organizations.

I wonder about two of your assertions;:

1) “only product owners and stakeholders can suggest features.” This seems more rigid than my experience. Also more a Scrum perspective than Agile writ large. I’ve noticed in certain teams (usually with, or seeking, Optimizing fluency in the Agile Fluency Model lingo, aka Agile’s Promise) everyone on the cross-functional team can suggest features because they all understand the customer/user’s needs and all have a sense of the business direction and goals for their product. While it’s true that on Focusing and Delivering teams, it’s much more likely that those with Product Management/Development roles will bring features/MMF’s to the team, it’s possible that a team member could suggest a feature idea that emerges from technical alternatives and the their business liaison/product owner might accept it.

2) In the two final rows on Outcomes slide 10, I don’t understand your “N/A”’s. It seems to me both are true for both groups. OST and Agile SWD may express shared purpose and risk reduction differently, yet in effective implementations those outcomes are present in both.

Onward!
Diana

Diana Larsen
Agile Fluency™ Project <http://agilefluency.org/>