[OSList] open message to Nick Martin

Harrison Owen hhowensr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 14:51:13 PDT 2019

Well said!

Harrison

From: OSList [mailto:oslist-bounces at lists.openspacetech.org] On Behalf Of Barry Owen via OSList
Sent: Sunday, June 9, 2019 7:41 AM
To: World wide Open Space Technology email list
Cc: Barry Owen
Subject: Re: [OSList] open message to Nick Martin

Harold - What you wrote is great. Thank you!

Bhavish, I could copy and paste your comments @ Massacre of Open Space and send them to a group that does an annual event here in Nashville.

This event began with me doing an Open Space event. I invited REALTORS to come together to talk about issues and opportunities we were facing as a direct result of the Economic Downward Spiral in 2008 which was devastating for many.  Because this topic also affected all of the "Service Support" people  we rely on during transactions (Lenders, Title Companies, Contractors, Inspectors, & etc), I invited them to come as sponsors. 24 of these sponsors paid $150 each for a table to display information about their business. This money paid all of the overhead, so the event was free for the REALTORS.  I arranged these tables in a concentric circle around the Main Circle and invited the sponsors to attend as participants. This was an Open Space meeting about a very important issue with people from every conceivable Real Estate related business - 300 REALTORS attended, and the event was a huge success.

The following year, I was queueing up a "2nd Annual" event when I was approached by a group of people who had the backing of the REALTOR Association. Based on the success of the event I facilitated, they decided to do it using BarCamp - NashvilleREBarcamp and scheduled their event to conflict with mine. They asked me join forces with them rather than having 2 different events. With reservation, I agreed, and the event was also a huge success (Although not Open Space) - 500 Participants - More "Traditional" arrangement for sponsors who paid more money to sponsor breakout spaces and were not, under any circumstances, allowed to do any promotion beyond their name on the breakout space.

Over the past 10 years, that event has grown and morphed into what you describe . . . and even worse. The 10th Annual was a couple months ago - Over 700 REALTORS registered . . . There were @ 30 "Experts" who flew in from all over the country to "teach" sessions. There were @ 35 sessions (I did one about "Operating a Brokerage in Open Space"). All of the sessions were scheduled before the doors opened. I was disappointed because I thought it could have been way better in Open Space Technology, but . . .

I decided it was better than nothing :-) As I went through the day, I noticed that, even though OST wasn't the process for the meeting . . . Open Space happened for many of the participants.

My general observation is that Open Space happens at some level every time any group gathers . . . Having the meeting using OST simply increases the impact for more of the participants. So . . .

Harrison Owen's mantra of "Just Open more Space" is happening every day as each of us is out there engaging important and complex issues and opportunities . . . even when it doesn't look like OST.