[OSList] OST as a way to go in addressing climate change perils

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 13:13:15 PST 2019

G'day again Spaceniks and Others

With much appreciation to those who responded so thoughtfully to my recent
post (below).

Including this from Michael Pannwitz in response to the question I posed,
viz:

"Could bringing *Open Space Technology (OST
<https://openspaceworld.org/wp2/>*) approaches be a vital means to address
constructively the issues we face as global humanity in the now
*Anthropocene* with its perils and opportunities?"

Michael noted:

"Open Space Technology does reliably work for wicked issues everywhere.
And we know how it works.
The experiment with the prerequisite ingredients is described by
practitioners
such as Harrison Owen and several others in various languages
. We give it away freely.

So, what is next?"

Could these updates on *Youth Strikers* indicate a 'way to go'?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/feb/13/kids-v-climate-change-inside-the-15-february-edition-of-the-guardian-weekly

With a big bold front cover of the print version:

*I WANT YOU TO PANIC*

*Climate change meets its match: angry schoolkids*
See also the essay in this edition (page 48) by John Lanchester on 'Baby
Boomers deadly legacy'.

And on page 49: "We should applaud young climate protesters. After all,
they have the most to lose."

Here’s a manifesto from British journalist George Monbiot, worth a careful
look in my opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/20/manifesto-youth-climate-strikers-win-fight?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Monbiot concludes:

"All this is a lot to dump on young people. But there are plenty of
veterans, many of whom have far more experience than I do, who are ready to
offer advice and help. Any support must come on the young strikers’ terms:

They lead, we follow. But they carry a terrible burden: this is a struggle
they cannot afford to lose. We will help them lift it if they wish."

*I wonder if you see that drawing to the attention of the young people at
issue that OST principles and practices could be a way to enable them to
move forward?  *

Looking forward, indeed!

*Al  *

Al (formerly Alan) Stewart, PhD
Process Artist
Facilitator of conversations that matter and participatory fun

Senior Fulbright Scholar

Blog:  www.conversare.net

Member:  American Society for Cybernetics <http://asc-cybernetics.org/>

*Member: **National Trouble Makers Union* <http://www.ntmu.com.au/>

*Residence: Adelaide, South Australia, since 1975 With time away in the USA
(1981) and Hong Kong (2005-2011)  *

*"Whenever we treat each other well good things happen." Al Stewart*