[OSList] OST for Mission/Vision and Strategic Planning?

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 09:34:37 PDT 2019

Yessir.

One of my favourite stories was working with a local health board to do just that.  There was lots in their annual plan that had already been decided but there were several areas of emerging strategy that needed to be looked at including labour relations, policy development, Human Resources and something else.

We prepared the news wall with these four categories as sections, and then another section called “other"

We opened space with the board and staff of the organization and the sponsor said :you can have any conversation you like, but if you want ideas included in the strategic plan, please place your summaries of discussion in the right buckets.

We met for a day, and the news wall categories all got populated.

On day two, we cam back and the reports were all typed up by category.  In each corner of the room we had one of the four categories.  Folks were invited to go to anyone of the categories, review the summary of discussions from the day before and make some sense of it, coming up with a set of recommendations that should be incoorporated into the strategic plan.  They knew that the Board would have the final say over what went into the plan, but Board members were also in these discussions.  Law of Two Feet applied.

Spent the whole morning in these discussions, finished with each of the four groups reporting on their recommendations.  As I recall the Board didn’t do much alteration of what was created.

The “other” category consisted of a couple of reports from sessions where there staff were just thinking about ways to improve the workplace culture.  It was easy for the Executive Director to later sit down with the convenors of those sessions to discuss supporting their leadership on some of the ideas.

Was a great design and one I haven’t had the chance to repeat all that often, because most organizations think that strategic planning needs to be a lot more controlled than that.

Chris