[OSList] Marking a New National/Regional Educational Policy -examples of Open Space meeting being set up?

John Engle john at haitipartners.org
Fri Nov 2 03:30:30 PDT 2018

Hi Ingibjorg,

I love your idea about regional meetings around education and making sure that children and youth are a big part of it.

Like others on this list I’ve had great experiences with open space and young people, including in schools.

My two cents is to carefully build a planning committee that is a microcosm of the people you hope to participate overall and tackle all the logistics issues and strategy with them.

In terms of regional open space mtgs to inform a national policy, a couple years ago USAID hired me to lead 6 regional open space mtgs with cross section of people-local authorities, grassroots leaders, private sector, etc—to help inform USAID’s five year strategy. Meetings were approximately 8:30 am to 3:30 pm and averaged 150 people each. It’s a small sampling but a step in the right direction. Participants engaged enthusiastically and produced notes and reports that USAID combed through.

Yours is a beautiful and inspiring project, Ingibjorg.

Appreciatively,

John Engle
Director & Co-Founder
Haiti Partners