[OSList] Marking a New National/Regional Educational Policy -examples of Open Space meeting being set up?

Ingibjorg Gisladottir ingibjorg.gisladottir at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 02:44:18 PDT 2018

Dear friends

Thank you all for your valuable input - The next days I will dive further
into the links and info you sent me and I may get back to you.

Up till now, when educational authorities, in my city of 125.000 habitants
(where I have worked in HR past 15 years), have wanted consultation, they
have made sure (with good intentions) that every educational institution is
equally represented in group discussion.

Teachers and parents are the obvious group to be invited in the minds of
officials, then at some point, later in the planning process someone says:
 "What about the children, should we perhaps ask them?"  Each principal
school leader has been asked to select 2 teachers/professionals
representing the staff in that school, 2 parents and 2 children and they
have been invited to meetings where staff is together in one meeting,
another meeting is set up for parents and the third for children. So it is
only the people that are within the current system who take part in the
discussion.  And the results are more or less the same!  Perhaps a little
shift in focus. Parents feel that school should be like it was when they
were young, teachers want to segregate the children so that the difficult
ones are out of their classroom -and the voice of the children is very much
underrepresented in the discussion although their discussion was most to
the point, they followed the instructions and were the group who came up
with most of the new ideas.

I am working on a "proposal" for the ministry of education where I want to
be invited to take part in the planning of the conversation/consultation on
a national level.  I feel that OS is the right meeting format and am hoping
that broader range of issues and perspectives will be brought up.  Together
with children, parents and teachers/school leaders/professional I would
like to invite people from outside of the educational system, universities,
people (staff/leaders) working in different sectors and industries,
futurists and innovators, young people who recently  entered the "real
world" of living independently and supporting themselves, people with
different background and who themselves were in schooled abroad. Those who
dropped out of school, are unemployed, minorities, people with disabilities
etc.

And I want them to be together in a meeting so it will be a versatile
group. It is pretty much an open invitation where everyone could attend, I
guess.
But how to go about the invitation and meeting setup? Is it going to be one
large meeting or many in different parts of the country? Although Iceland
has only 350.000 habitants they are very much spread around the relatively
large island (compared to no of habitants) and transportation can be
complicated and expensive.  How should the invitation and theme be, so that
it appeals to the groups mentioned? These are some of the questions I need
to reflect on and discuss with ministry officials.

Enough for now, I felt like sharing my thoughts with you - your insight and
comments will be welcomed.

Have a great day

Ingibjörg  (Inga)

Reykjavík, Iceland
ingibjorg.gisladottir at gmail.com

fim., 1. nóv. 2018 kl. 17:55 skrifaði Thomas Herrmann via OSList <