[OSList] conversation & listening in Pittsburgh

R Chaffe rchaffe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:48:49 PDT 2018

The current wisdom is that an open space is critical to allow people to respond to a change in circumstances (sometimes catastrophic some incremental).

In emergency response.  As part of my working life for almost 30 years I was a critical part of professional emergence response “incident management team” (the back room people who coordinate to action part of emergency response).  The critical component was listening to people and including them, or their needs etc, in the visible response.

Recently some work was done to evaluate the “best” way to support a community as they began the process of recovery from an emergency, in this case a very rapidly moving wild fire.  The key finding was a sausage sizzle where the community of concern could come and get a free sausage.  At the spot there was a person who was available to listen and pass on the latest news or processes regarding the recovery process.   He site often included a coffee.  So you have a pop up cafe where you can get the latest “news” or just chat.

The “just chat” is critical as the implication is that others are seriously listening and are seriously taking action to deal with issues and opportunities (now where have I heard that before?).

We might immediately recognise this as an Open Space hot spot.   The best part is it is not a hand out other than a cup of coffee and a sausage.  The reports are that these spots became critical gathering places and quite a challenge to retain the respect and openness.   This is where we can help.

The saddest site in recent memory is the survivors from a natural disaster returning to the same site for their hand out 25 years on.

The lesson is the hot spots must remain just that.  The capacity and capability required to rebuild and move on must remain with the community.

It is so easy for others to compromise the open spot and corrupt the work to create interdependence.  This is the mission, should you choose to accept it, keep the Open spaces open! (I thin someone else has though of this phrase before me, tank you 🙏 )

Regards
Rob