[OSList] What happens after Open Space? Any case studies on this?

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Apr 2 16:41:39 PDT 2017

Thanks Thomas Perret for opening the topic of OpenSpace Agility. I'm
compelled to add to your post a little bit...

...One ideal pre-condition for OST is "an issue of burning importance to
the group." You might be wondering: how can we schedule Open Space
events 45 to 100 days in advance if we cannot name that burning issue at
the time we schedule it?

Here is the answer: when we attempt to bring [change] into an
organization, we can certainly expect problems.

Right?

In fact, there are so many problems and so many impediments in
attempting to do this, that, for intents and purposes, we can safely
assume [change] might be just about impossible to actually achieve. As
the org progresses on its learning journey, we can safely assume there
will be all manner of issues of burning importance to the group. Not
just one. But usually one is considered larger and more pressing now.

It's one or more of these issues that become the focus of the next OST
event in OST. The people decide about that topic, that OST theme, as the
date nears and event planning & invitation begins.

Is OSA, the focus is on "Agile change," but truth be told, this
technique works well when trying to bring any kind of change to any kind
of organization.

The OSA process typically includes 3 or more Open Space events from 45
to 100 days apart. What happens between these Open Space events are in
fact "enterprise-wide iterations of organizational learning" as
described in the method. The number of chapters is the number of OST
events you actually deliver, minus one. Each chapter begins and ends in
Open Space.

Now, genuine and authentic learning is fundamentally destabilizing,
because most all learning creates change, and change is fundamentally
destabilizing to the status quo. Old beliefs give way and new ways of
thinking, believing and being emerge. And most large orgs *strongly*
value stability. OpenSpace Agility acknowledges this and responds by
using the Agile concept *iterations* to create time-bounded containers
or "chapters of learning." These are bounded by time, and begin and end
(are "punctuated" by) very specific and formal cultural rituals, which
are the enterprise-wide OST events.

This method of bringing ritual to modern tribes has a very sound
theoretical basis. For deeply interested readers, is it worthwhile to
investigate the book FROM RITUAL TO THEATER: On The Human Seriousness of
Play" by cultural anthropologist Victor Turner. His work on liminality,
ritual, "rites de passage" and the human seriousness of play form the
very foundation of OSA theory.

Thanks again to Thomas for calling attention to the idea of OSA and what
we might call "iterative OST."

If you want, you can get more details here:
http://www.openspaceagility.com/about

http://www.prime-os.com

Regards,
Daniel