[OSList] Safety

Suzanne Daigle via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Sep 28 22:27:09 PDT 2016

Thank you Harold for this topic.

What came to mind for me: Safety and Wave Riding!

Open Space invites us to be wave riders of our own life.

A compelling theme, an invitation, a circle, a handful of principles and a
law...

How can it be that a process so deceptively simple can unlock and release
so much inside us?

For most of our lives, we may have been playing it safe... Or not.
Consciously or unconsciously.

Each person is different. The circumstances of our lives are different.

What can feel safe for one can feel totally unsafe for another. It's all
relative, moment by moment, and personal too.

For so much of my life, I worried about the safety of others. A form of
control I'm sure. By doing so, I realized through Open Space that I was
depriving myself of wave riding my own life and possibly interfering with
the lives of others.

In the end is it really my responsibility to try and make it safe for
others? If I intervene, is there not the risk that I will deprive or delay
others from finding their own courage, the courage to take a stand, to
speak out and to do. To live fully. Can others make me feel safe? Do I want
them to take responsibility for my safety? Not really.

To witness the pain and struggles in ourselves and others around safety is
not always easy...

Yet it is something that we must allow the space for, trusting that we will
each find our way, alone and with others.

And when we give each other that space to discover and  experience the
courage of our own choices, there is something pretty magical that
happens.

Always amazes me in the context of safety to remember how it felt in the
opening circle and how different it feels in the closing circle. Like
coming home...together. It totally feels safe.

Suzanne

On Sep 21, 2016 2:16 PM, "Harold Shinsato via OSList" <