[OSList] Safety

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Sep 21 15:42:19 PDT 2016

talking last week with a small group, that included josh kerievsky as a
participant and modern agile (especially safety) as the subject, several
points stood out and might be relevant here.

one is the importance of suspending assumptions.  in dialogue practice it
relates to holding assumptions separate from oneself, so that they might be
examined by ourselves and others without risk to ourselves.  in open space,
the work with leaders and givens seems akin to this, clarifying what can be
held out for consideration during the meeting.  the suggestion to be
prepared to be surprised leans in this direction too, i think.

second is the quality of listening.  in dialogue circles, the invitation is
to listen to oneself, listen to others, listen to the group (patterns,
whole), and listen up for what is coming in from above or just beyond the
group.  some of what i hear in brian's archived message relates to the
space into which people can speak and move and be heard and seen and part
of what is emerging.

third, josh brought a story about the importance of assuming positive
intent.  we invite this in open space via the law of two feet, where we
invite and assume everyone into learning and contributing as much as they
can, and also when we look around the circle at the opening and notice that
everyone in the big circle is there because they care, and then everyone
who shows up in a breakout is again there because of caring.  in open space
we assume and invite caring.

finally, there is invitation itself.  safe and welcome are subjective, but
inviting can be more objective.  it's something we can do as well as be.
 true invitation gives people a choice.  when space invaders pop up, the
facilitator's aim is to maintain room for people to make choices for
themselves, even if only by modeling that one can always get up and take a
break, take a walk, opt out.  when people show up by their own choice, and
then move and speak and lead and follow, all by their own choice, this
seems the bedrock of safety, what we used to call "challenge by choice" in
teambuilding programs.

in these ways, and probably others, we don't hardly have to do or add
anything to the essence of what we already know as open space.  and then
it's up to each participant to decide if their space, in any moment, is
safe or scary space.  and then decide what to do about that.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com
http://OpenSpaceWorld.org

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Michael M Pannwitz via OSList <