[OSList] Safety

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Sep 21 15:09:23 PDT 2016

Dear Chris,

to me it was the concept of
"A nutrient-rich, relatively protected environment"
as one of the conditions under which the force of self-organisation
could thrive.
(If you look into the "Power of Spirit - How Organizations Transform"
you can see the other 4 on page 42.)

"A relatively protected environment" is something quite different from a
safe space if there even could be such a space.

"A nutrient-rich, relatively protected environment" looks like one of
the components that would contribute to a welcoming space.

As I read your post I kept looking for the concrete situation you had in
mind. Is there one?

In the more practical aspect of a "relatively protected environment",
there are some things in planning an open space that do matter. In
Germany there are safety regulations regarding the number of chairs
allowed in a room and the allowed patterns in which they are arranged
and their proximity to emergency exits(fire department) and the use of
materials that could catch fire (paper, pinwalls made of cardboard, gas
filled balloons, cushions on the floor, etc) and the requirements on
smoke detectors... and if your meeting space is in certain high risk
buildings security guards and/or police are required to be present...

Systemic oppression, forced silence and the more frightening givens you
are mentioning probably do not jive with a "relatively protected
environment"...

Greetings from Berlin
mmp