[OSList] Accessibility concerns about bending down to pick up paper/pens

Lisa Heft - via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Aug 18 21:35:19 PDT 2016

Hi, Harold.

“For anyone whose body does not work like this, I (my assistant) will be walking around the (outside of the) circle with paper and markers.”

I say this every time. It’s standard, as I try to practice inclusivity by practicing inclusive language. I only set up sign-making tables after a discussion with the client shows quite a number of participants are unable to move comfortably. This has only happened once, when working with farmers / farmworkers who have serious pain / arthritis resulting from working decades with toxic pesticides. In all other instances, my walking around the outside of the circle with paper and markers allows individuals to self-select for any private reason, whether it is because of a short skirt or mobility reasons or any reason at all.

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space