[OSList] Accessibility concerns about bending down to pick up paper/pens

Christine Whitney Sanchez via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Aug 18 22:32:41 PDT 2016

I once opened the space for a municipal gathering that was focused on preventing elder abuse, co-sponsored by a police department and the Area Agency on Aging.  They did a wonderful job of inviting elders from the community and offering transportation and other supports to help them to get to the conference center.

The design team decided to offer foamboards to the elders, who could ask a neighbor to retrieve a pen and paper from the center so that the elder could write her or his own topic without having to struggle into the middle of the circle.  Some of the elders asked that same neighbor to post their topic on the wall.  But they all got the mic and announced their topic themselves.

There were so many wonderful moments in this event, one of which was the way the participants, without any prompting from me, collectively made sure that it was very quiet when the elders announced their topics, which eventually extended to all of the topic announcements, creating a sacred tone for the gathering.

Thanks for the inquiry, dear Harold.
Namasté,

Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez, M.C.
Phoenix, AZ, USA • +1.480.759.0262
www.claremontlincoln.edu
www.innovationpartners.com
www.christinewhitneysanchez.com
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ChristineWhitneySanchez> | LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/christinewhitneysanchez?authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=Zy8g&locale=en_US&trk=tyah&trkInfo=clickedVertical:mynetwork,clickedEntityId:16048,authType:NAME_SEARCH,idx:1-1-1,tarId:1463366987763,tas:Ch> | Twitter <https://twitter.com/CWhitneySanchez>