[OSList] Inviting non-invitation

Ron Quartel via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Sep 1 08:22:45 PDT 2015

This debate happens in the world of agile also. Specifically when we talk
about Extreme Programming over Scrum. Should a team be told to do the
Extreme Programming practices or do we invite them to try them is a debate
that rages again and again. (Extreme programming is a very disciplined way
of developing software while scrum prescribes no disciplines.)

The challenge with Extreme Programming is that the practices are counter
intuitive and many will find them distasteful. E.g. why do I have to pair
program with a junior developer? That will slow me down and we will get
less work done.

I don't claim to have an answer to force vs. invite but I can share my
story on how I came to love Extreme Programming (XP).

XP was forced on my dev team. We were given a new dev manager who said we
are going to do XP. If you didn't like it you can use the law of two feet
to leave the company. (Not those words exactly but I'm sure you get the
drift.) Now I loved the team I was with, the place I worked and the work we
were doing but absolutely hated XP. But I promised to give it six months
and if the team had not decided that XP was a load of rubbish and were
still doing it after 6 months I will leave and find another job where
sanity still rained. I hated everything about XP and agile and it took me
way out of my comfort zone as a software developer. But then somewhere
during the six months the sense of it started to dawn on me and I actually
started enjoying it. By the end of six months I was a fan and am now an
evangelist for XP. I like finding the haters and assure them it's OK to
hate XP. When they get it, they become the biggest advocates.

So was it wrong to have XP forced on me? I will leave that up to you to
decide. I often wonder if I would have ever come around to agile and
especially XP if it had not been forced on me.

An analogy I have to learning XP is learning downhill skiing. There is a
point where you have to do the unintuitive and lean down the slope. Your
body is screaming NO but your ski instructor is telling you that is how you
do it. Turns out he is right but you have to get through that disbelief and
discomfort to get to the other side. OK that is forcing myself after he
invited me to try it - so maybe there needs to be a little of both?

Ron Quartel
FAST Agile <http://fast-agile.com> - An agile software process
incorporating Open Space Technology

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Daniel Mezick via OSList <