[OSList] The Tyranny of Structurelessness

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Oct 8 09:41:43 PDT 2015

Greeting All, Greeeetings Michael,

Wow. Michael. Seriously. You can really type (and talk) a blue streak.
You know? You're wearing me out...

...no no, just kidding. I'm not QUITE exhausted yet...I've had time to
rest up!

So, by all means keep it coming. I'm rested and ready!

....Now: A couple things do stand out here:

1. The Tyranny of Inquiry?
================
Michael, you say:
"i notice that you said in your first message that you find this
"extremely interesting" *but you've yet to say why.*"

Wait. Stop right there.

Earlier, you ask:
"*Is it not some kind of tyranny* we all attempt over and over again
*when we expect and insist that the world explain itself to/for us?*"

(brief pause of silence here, for an ironic, even paradoxical effect....)

Seriously.  Inquiry is good!  There is no tyranny to be found in it.

I like the essay because it speaks to a really, really, important topic,
namely:

The various problems with informal authority-distribution, inside groups
that devalue "structure," or value other things -over- "structure."

I also like this essay because it feels very timely and pertinent with
respect to Pernilla Luttropp's recent (and important) post on
decision-making, entitled: "An invitation to future invitations to WOSONOS."

2. Some Disconnected Dots?
==================

You express:

"i'm having some trouble connecting "elites," "movement,"
"authorization" and some other terms in the essay to my experience in
open space and on the list. the essay seems to want to fix a problem,
*but one that's not familiar to me, at least not as a sort of thing to
be solved."*

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, Michael, that you have completely
examined this essay.

To be clear: You are not familiar with /any/ of the many problems (not
even one) described in this essay?

If you are familiar with any of these, then you see them as /"not as a
sort of thing to be solved?"/

(For the record, the term "authorization" does not appear anywhere in
this essay. The term "authority" does appear 5 times.)

Now: We've recently had exactly the type of concerns the essay
addresses, voiced right here on OSLIST recently.

You yourself are a heavy contributor Pernilla Luttropp's post, "An
invitation to future invitations to WOSONOS."

Here is a part of that, provided for convenience (I copied this verbatim
from the post, with my emphasis added...)

<BEGIN>
/"At the inspiring WOSONOS in Krakow there were some learning
conversations on how this community goes about when expressing and
accepting//invitations from countries/places to host the upcoming
WOSONOSes. In the big circle *there were voices that expressed some
confusion and discomfort *with the process...//
//
//"...*There seems to be something unclear* about the "tradition" *on
how to get information about who is inviting and why. *If that
information were *transparent from the very start *of the WOSONOS, it
might enable more dialogue with the inviting hosts and between the hosts."
<END>

/
This expression by Pernilla is about how decisions. About how
future-WOSONOS-venues are identified, developed, and then authorized.

This issue does pertain quite directly, I think, to the essay. Right? I
wonder if others reading agree, or disagree.

Either way, it is always great when a new voice shows up!

Here is the specific part of the essay that clearly pertains: emphasis
added...

<BEGIN>
For everyone to have the opportunity to be involved in a given group and
to participate in its activities *the structure must be explicit, not
implicit. The rules of decision-making must be open and available to
everyone, and this can happen only if they are formalized.* This is not
to say that formalization of a structure of a group will destroy the
informal structure. It usually doesn't. But it does hinder the informal
structure from having predominant control and make available some means
of attacking it if the people involved are not at least responsible to
the needs of the group at large. /
<END>/

I wonder if anyone else (besides Michael) thinks that these two items,
what Pernilla is saying and what this essay is saying, are in no way
related?