[OSList] The Tyranny of Structurelessness

Chris Corrigan via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Oct 6 11:07:59 PDT 2015

My exploration of the Tao te Ching over the years has left me with the realization that structure and flow are co-arising: they come into being together and exist and mutually influence each other.  How I live my life, shapes my body, and my body’s shape determines how I live my life, and both those things change together forever until I die and one or other of these things disappears.

The idea that one exists separate from the other is a kind of delusion.  And ignoring the reality that both structure and flow arise together means that you end up imposing structure when you don’t think your are, or imposing flow when you don’t think you are, from a kind of blind spot.  That can be quite dangerous to living systems.

Chris