[OSList] The Tyranny of Structurelessness

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Oct 5 19:11:58 PDT 2015

Hi Suzanne!

Nice interpretation - and maybe Mickey Mouse deserves a bow here.

One of the things I love about our OS Hotline is the wisdom of Skye
Hirst, who frequently shows up there. She has a lot of experience inside
the work of Robert S. Hartman, and the hierarchy of values. Structure
fits in the hierarchy of values, but at a lower order of value. So
structure is great, but only if it's in service of the highest orders of
value - which are called "Intrinsic" in Hartman's system.

When we say "Open Space", it seems to work best as a place holder for
"Spirit", potentially another name for intrinsic values.

Open Space Technology is a structure in service to Open Space.

I'm kind of into how C. Otto Sharmer says it. Instead of "Form follows
function", he says "Form follows *attention*".

So as you say, Suzanne, structure can appear as we need it. And
sometimes, when we don't need it. Based on where we individually and
collectively focus our attention, or where our attention is stuck due to
the power of habit.

One thing I love most about Open Space Technology - even though it can
be a difficult role to play - it does authorize some space for those who
may have managed to get unstuck from a collective habitual structure.
They can hold a session by themselves, and still contribute to the
proceedings. And, voila, sometimes just that one person can start
attracting others out of a non-functioning structure. Or maybe even into
a new one.

     Harold

Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>