[OSList] Open Space, Journalism and Music

Suzanne Daigle via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Oct 23 11:26:14 PDT 2015

Life in Open Space, chatting, catching up, and marveling in each others'
stories.  It happened yesterday on QiQoChat with Poland, Chicago and
Washington in the virtual room. Then again today!

At noon, I was on Zoom with Peggy Holman, chatting and catching up. Very
quickly, I felt myself transported as she shared about a Journalism that
Matters gathering that happened not long ago. Peggy was brimming with
stories and heartfelt comments from participants about what had transpired
there and how much it had ignited and reignited passion and purpose for
journalism for all who attended - a new journalism connected to community.
I savored her every word, feeling her years of commitment as a co-founder
of this organization about 15 years ago, sensing the sheer magnificence of
people connecting deeply in shared purpose and passion.

A few days ago, Axiom News, whose mission is to co-create a life-giving
news network for a renewed and thriving world, published an incredible
article on the Open Space gathering headlined: "Renewed Hope for Journalism
Creates Shifts". The write-up captured some of what Peggy just described
though it could not fully convey all that she shared with me.

A wonderfully crafted theme: What is possible when the public and
journalists engage to support communities to thrive? and an amazing article
well worth a read:
http://axiomnews.com/renewed-hope-journalism-creates-shifts. If you
click session
notes <http://journalismthatmatters.org/experienceengagement/>, I promise
you'll feel inspired at the new journalism that is emerging in a world of
thriving communities that are yearning to be born.

In the same spirit of connecting with stories that ignite and spark the
soul, a phone conversation with Karen Davis about a month ago led to
another equally compelling tale this one around music, one that has evolved
and grown over a period of more than a decade.  It's a story about a  Midsummer
Music Dream <http://www.midsummermusiquebec.com/historyEng.htm> that
happens in the province of Quebec in a place that Karen calls home during
the summer. This weeklong festival began in 2006 when Karen invited some
folks that she knows from New York to come to Quebec. What started as a
concert with guitarists Harris Becker, Pasquale Bianculli and flutist
Kathleen McDonald soon became a festival leading to a local choir and then
an international music festival and learning programs that have engaged
multiple communities and local people of all ages. An awe inspiring
tradition. To experience a bit of the magic of what this has become, click
here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTijykWoXu8#action=share> if you want
to fill your soul with music.

As I share this and invite you to click the links, filling your ears,
hearts and minds with these wonderful initiatives which are an expression
of opening and holding space by people we know and love, I fully understand
that the OS list cannot fully capture the magnitude of what's happening in
so many places. I also know that the natural humility that is part of who
we are as facilitators often precludes us from sharing with beaming pride
some of the things that we are doing.  Hopefully Peggy and Karen will
forgive me for writing as much knowing that these stories and many others
like them need to find a home and be shared. They are at the heart of why
we do what we do.

It's also a reminder to all of of us that life is short and it's so easy to
pick up the phone, schedule a Skype or Zoom call, get on the hotline, and
just reach out to someone you know and then perhaps you too will feel the
urge to share.

Hugs from Florida,
Suzanne

Suzanne Daigle