[OSList] Is Open Space Education Possible?

Suzanne Daigle via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Dec 7 19:40:20 PST 2015

Wow Chris, I have a story to add to your story. It was closer to midnight
last Friday, I couldn't sleep and I went to Facebook. Saw on Open Space
Technology FB that a young woman by the name of Amy Chen had posted
inquiring where there might be training in Open Space. I immediately
responded by private message and suggested New York at International House
in January with Harrison Owen and Karen Davis. She answered me back right
away saying she was really interested. We texted each other back and forth
for about 20 minutes. I suggested we Facetime the next morning at 10 am.
Well we did for an hour and a half. When Amy said she nearly fell off her
chair when Harrison invited her to Beijing, well I literally got off my
chair Saturday morning dancing on my kitchen floor after we hung up.

You see we had an ageless conversation, going everywhere and anywhere. Her
history, my time in China, her huge interest in Open Space. It was an
incredible conversation. I could hardly contain my enthusiasm imagining all
the Open Space folks I wanted her to meet, some a little older than her,
others much older. No matter. I imagined others we could invite to New
York. I said you must come to Florida and meet the university students who
co-hosted the World Open Space in 2013. About 30 of them. We talked about
the future of work. I asked her if she knew Haier in China, a trailblazing
self managed company. She said yes. They are famous. At the end I was
exhausted with excitement. She was super energized. I suggested I'd sent
her information on people I'd love her to meet, virtually or in person, I
sent her tons of links, articles, etc. Totally fire hosed her.
We talked about the round the world, round the clock virtual experiment
celebrating Harrison's birthday.
It was like the best ping pong match ever. I was totally bowled over by Amy
too, for education and also for the workplace because Amy and others
represent what's possible if we leap frog ahead, by opening space to engage
and work together.
All I can say Chris is thank you for connecting with her and connecting us
all here. Fate then led you to introduce her to Harrison. How very cool it
all is!
Suzanne
Is it possible to Open Space Education?

I had almost given up asking this question when I was bowled over by this
23 year old chinese lady Amy the week before Independence Day 2015. It was
her first trip abroad and she was interviewing anyone she could from over
50 nations at the 20th year of the creative children festival celebrated on
the Mall Washngton DC. Her favorite interviewees were the children but
there were also elders   like Samara Ethiopian-American owner of the 5
billion person elearning satellite yazmi, or Bangladeshi Naila for 15 years
muhammad yunus first female director of grameen mobile phone, or William a
Chinese America retiree who has spent quarter of a century building
friendships out of Chillicon Valley (Stanford), or Taddy Blecher founder of
the Mandela extranet and the free university of entrepreneurship for the
underprivileged. Amy seemed to grow about 10 years in self-confidence by
the end of her 10 days in DC, but as she flew back to China I never really
expected to see the likes of her again

3 months later i got a whats app message, it was Amy:  is there anyone more
innovative I can interview on my second trip. I said the only person i can
think of is Harrison Owen in Maryland. She said what? Why didnt I see him
first time? I said he lives summers on a boat in Maine. She said what?
...Thankfully they had lunch on her second voyage abroad. And he said to
her if you are happy to cancel rest of our DC trip, why not come to Beijing
and observe open space china with me. Amy gulped: am I a right person? of
course, yes please. At the airport she said to me *I will be back* and next
I want to interview a leader of a social business college. I said what? But
while Amy was observing Harrison magic in Beijing, i was being debriefed on
some research at the Vatican University. Their information was that the
only college leadership team in USA they had found to be up for the
pro-youth curriculum transformation of Pope Francis was in Brooklyn, thanks
to the extraordinary female Dean there.

So here we are last week with : a short video of Amy's first gig in Brooklyn
and the Dean's review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztwZi_g2F-8&feature=youtu.be
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/eel-comes-brooklyn-new-york-joann-d-rolle-ph-d-?trk=mp-author-card
What will happen next could be fun...