[OSList] Announcing the Next OSLIST Poet Laureate

Lucas Cioffi via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Dec 6 13:30:56 PST 2015

Thank you to all who shared a poem with the list.  All three poems received
votes, however Poem #1 (below) earned the most.

Therefore, I am excited to announce our new Poet Laureate: Jeff Aitken!

Lucas Cioffi
Outgoing OSLIST Poet Laureate
Charlottesville, VA, USA
- with a deep bow to my fellow Poet Laureates, past, present, and future

==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ====

A little history, from Chris Corrigan:

> “For all those who might be curious, the OSLIST Biannual Restricted Form
> Poetry Contest started in the spring of 2000 when I issued the challenge
> to the list.  Ralph Copleman actually began the whole thing with a contest
> in the fall of 1999 (which I won) and so he is the “Poetry King” for all
> time.  I just claimed the “Poet Laureate” title in an effort to have some
> fun.  It was something of a one martini idea, and I was out of gin at the
> time...”

Note: Members of the OSLIST select a new Poet Laureate every 6 months.

==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ====

*Poem #1*

Open space
is a
quick
brown
fox
jumping over that
lazy dog
Control.

*Poem #2*

*I* feel deeply touched

*A*bout everything that is happening
*M*y deepest feelings goes to the family of the deceased

*P*rinciples like love, peace, respect…are they lost?
*A*lways seemed right to love and respect every soul , every living being!
*R*ises my inner voice against all kind of hate and evil
*I*s this the world we want to build?
*S*ay no to hate, say no to fear, say yes to love, and please respect all
kinds of being!

*Poem #3*

Someone may say, ‘What can one person do?, when others are so evil?’
One person can step forward.
Just as in Open Space.
Speaking to passion and responsibility.
We’ve seen it happen.

In Open Space, we have learned to notice the differences.
The one person.
The diversity.

One person can step forward.
Name a topic.
Submit a poem.
Hold a session with just themselves attending it.

In Open Space, we welcome that.
We invite it.
Even one person stepping forward
stepping into their passion and responsibility
can shift an organization. A community. A way of thinking.

Someone said, 'Only one person on this list submitted a poem.'

One person.
Stepping forward.
Speaking to passion and responsibility.

What can one person do?
Step forward into the silence.
Breathe.
Open up her arms.
Invite difference.
Embody the simple fact that
each person matters.

One person can do the most loving thing it is in her heart to do.