[OSList] OST: Public vs Private events: apples and oranges?

Harrison via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Apr 26 09:12:30 PDT 2015

To add a bit... The 4 (actually 5) "preconditions" were simply what I, and
others, had observed to be the situation. I can't actually remember, but I
think my original motivation was to question what seemed to be the
conventional wisdom regarding what it took to have a good meeting. I think
we all know the drill - there should be a clear agenda, closely ordered
procedure, something close to absolute control, and the like. With thoughts
like these in mind, Open Space was not only counterintuitive, but wrong,
dangerous, and obviously heretical. What we were experiencing was definitely
a horse of a different color.

And yes, Jeff, there is certainly no "requirement" that all conditions be at
maximum red alert. That said, if none are present there would seem to be
little reason have a meeting, let alone Open Space. After all who would want
to waste the time when there was no business issue, everything was crystal
clear, everyone thought exactly the same way, no passion or conflict, and
the sense of urgency non-existent? Sounds like a non-starter to me. Then
again it constantly amazes me that every day in organizations all over the
world folks hold meetings just because you are supposed to. Is it any wonder
that people are bored, disengaged, and cynical?

But actually what really got me excited was when I realized that my "5
Preconditions" almost exactly paralleled the essential preconditions for
self organization as described by Stuart Kauffmann and others. That made a
connection which produced my greatest learning in and about Open Space. It
is all self organization. It is not a process we/I created, invented, or
whatever. All we actually "do" is to invite people to remember what they
have been doing for ever. Well at least for the last 13.7 billion years.

And just for a tag line .... to those who might be thinking about "scaling
up" Open Space, I would suggest you save your energy. It's already happened.
It is all self organizing. It is all open space. Of course it is true that
things get pretty sloppy and gooey when we set about organizing a self
organizing system. Oh well.

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, MD 20854

301-365-2093

Summer Address

189 Beaucaire Ave.

Camden, ME 04843

207-763-3261

Websites

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com

OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
OSLIST Go
to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org